and our Seminaries
Scapulars. Jewelry. Crucifixes
Stylish & Modest Fashion
Regnum Christi Live
General Instruction of the
Roman Missal for the
United States of America
The World Seen from Rome
National Catholic Register
Shrines and Holy Places
Cathedral Shrine of the Virgin of Guadalupe
2215 Ross Ave.
Dallas, Texas 75201-2707
The Catholic parish in Dallas was established in 1869. The original Sacred Heart church built in1872. , Sacred Heart Church. The original church, built in 1872 by Rev. M. Perri
Dallas was established as a diocese in 1890. Sacred Heart was designated as the diocesan cathedral but it was already too small.
The property at Ross and Pearl Streets, where the Cathedral is now located, was purchased for $30,000. The present Cathedral's cornerstone was laid on June 17, 1898.
On October 26, 1902, the Cathedral was formally dedicated as the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart by Bishop Edward Dunne. Although the booklet from the 1902 dedication credited Bishop Dunne as the Cathedral's designer, the 1989 discovery of original drawings in a Galveston library showed Nicholas J. Clayton to be the architect. Clayton is regarded as the premier architect of 19th century Texas.
In 2000 the interior was refurbished and a new image of the Virgin of Guadalupe was installed in the sanctuary,
With 25,000 registered families, the Cathedral Shrine is recognized as the second largest cathedral congregation in the nation, second only to St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City. Equally significant, the Cathedral Shrine has the largest Latino congregation in the nation.
The Shrine of the True Cross
300 FM 517 East
Dickinson, Texas 77539
In 1908 a small wooden mission church was constructed in Dickinson and named for St. Joseph. It was damaged in 1914 and destroyed in 1915 by hurricanes. Each time the parishioners rebuilt it.
In 1936 the church was renamed the Shrine of the True Cross and was granted a relic of the True Cross by the office of the Vicar General of the Diocese of Rome. In 1946 the parishioners replaced the old church with a Spanish mission-style church building.
In 1964 a site for a new church and a school was purchased. Construction of the present church was started in 1972 and it was formally dedicated in 1974.
The Shrine is a sacred place of pilgrimage, a special place to draw closer to God through prayer, reflection, and devotion to the Cross of Christ. Pilgrims are welcome during services and devotions.
St. Mary Cathedral Basilica
The Mother Church of Texas (1847)
2011 Church St.
Galveston, Texas 77550
Relatives of father Paquin, the former pastor of Galveston decided to build a church in his memory. In 1845 they imported 500,000 bricks from Belgium. Construction of St Mary’s begun in 1847.
On May 4, 1847 Pope Pius IX approved the establishment of the Diocese of Galveston thus the church was elevated to a Cathedral. "The Mother Church" of the Catholic Diocese of Galveston-Houston.
On November 26, 1848, the Cathedral was ready for dedication.
St. Mary's is the original Cathedral for the State of Texas, it has the distinction of being the Mother Cathedral for all the Catholic Dioceses in Texas. In recognition of the Cathedral's importance to the community and the State of Texas, as well as the historical impact it had on Catholicism in the state of Texas, Pope John Paul II elevated St. Mary's to the status of Cathedral Basilica in 1979
Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish
and a Place of Healing and Miracles
Parroquia y Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe
1401 East Garden Lane
Midland, TX 79702
1898, St. George's became the first Catholic Church in Midland, at the corner of Texas and Dallas Streets. The Sunday Masses were celebrated by priests who traveled from Stanton by train.
In 1953 the congregation of St. George's started a campaign to build a new church. In 1960 Our Lady of Guadalupe Church was built in its present location
The beautiful Shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe on the southeast corner of the Parish property was dedicated by Bishope Michael Pfeifer, OMI on June 8, 1993.
The stained glass window with the image of the Apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe to Juan Diego, was installed in 1998. (Juan Diego was declared a Saint on July 31, 2002)
Mission La Divina Misericordia
1531 Indian Chief Trail
New Braunfels, TX 78132
The Mission of Divine Mercy is a new community seeking to be an instrument of Jesus' Mercy for the world today. Canonically it is a private association of the faithful. It was founded in 2001 when the Archdiocese of San Antonio invited them to come to New Braunfels, Texas
The community is to include priests, religious men and women, and consecrated laity. A new branch is in formation for lay persons, married or single, who want to belong spiritually to the Mission of Divine Mercy while living and working in the world.
Queen of Peace Shrine
801 Ninth Avenue
Port Arthur, TX 77642
The parishioners of Queen of Vietnam Martyr's Catholic Church created a Hoa Binh ("area of peace"). This unique place features beautiful gardens and a statue of Mary
The shrine was built "in gratitude for their escape from Asia and the city which welcomed them."
Basilica of the National Shrine of the Little Flower
Our Lady of Mount Carmel & St. Therese Parish
906 Kentucky Ave.
San Antonio, TX 78201
The Basilica was begun as The Our Lady of Mount Carmel and St. Thérèse Church. It was founded by Spanish friars who came to San Antonio by way of Torreon, Mexico in 1926.Thr Discalced Carmelite Fathers choose an area that had long been home to first generation immigrants from Mexico. Along with wanting to carry out their mission of fostering the evangelization of the Christian body, they also wanted to enrich the lives of the community by giving them a "royal house" to worship in. The Church was finished in 1931 and dedicated to Saint Therese.
The Basilica it is most certainly the most artful and magnificent church built in honor of St. Therese. It is filled with significant works of fine art such as hand carved Stations of the Cross, a hand carved retable above the main altar, marble altars and beautiful stained glass. A rose motif has found its way into most of the fine art. In addition, the Basilica boasts of its possession of a painting of St. Therese which was worked on by her own blood sister, Sr. Celine Martin, OCD. This painting was carried in procession to the Vatican on the occasion of the canonization of St. Therese in 1925. The shrine also contains the 10'x7' painting of St. Therese that was used in her canonization.
Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto of the Southwest
5722 Blanco Road
San Antonio, TX 78216
the Oblates of Mary Immaculate of the Southern U.S. Province erected the Grotto, to honor their patroness, the most perfect replica in America of the original Shrine in Lourdes, France. It was dedicated on December 7, 1941.
Towering from level ground, it is carved from stone and shaped to resemble the cave in which the Blessed Mother appeared to St. Bernadette. Within the grotto a statue of Our Lady of Lourdes looks down upon Bernadette who is kneeling in prayer.
Located on five acres, the beautiful Grotto honors two revelations of Our Blessed Mother: as Our Lady of Lourdes in the Old World and as Our Lady of Guadalupe in the New World.
Basilica of the National Shrine of Our Lady of San Juan del Valle
400 North Virgen de San Juan Blvd.
San Juan, Texas 78589
In 1920, Reverend Alfonso Jalbert, O.M.I., built a small wooden chapel in San Juan, Texas as a mission church of St. Margaret Mary Church in Pharr, Texas.
The devotion to Our Lady of San Juan began in San Juan de los Lagos, Mexico. Spanish missionaries placed a small image of the Immaculate Conception in the church of San Juan de los Lagos.
In 1623, the youngest daughter of an acrobat lost her balance and was killed. The Virgin's image brought back to life.
In 1949, Rev. Jose Maria Azpiazu, O.M.I., bought a replica of the statue in San Juan de Los Lagos.
He built in a new church and shrine in 1954 and dedicated it to the Virgen de San Juan. Over the next ten years other facilities were built around the shrine — a convent for Sisters and a school in 1955, a rectory and a pilgrim house in 1958, a retreat house in 1961, a cafeteria in 1963, and a nursing home in 1964.
On October 23, 1970 the pilot of a small low-flying airplane crashed into the roof of the shrine and exploded into flames. While the overall loss was estimated at $1.5 million, many claim it was a miracle that the pilot of the plane was the only fatality and the statue was saved.
In November 1972 the administration of the shrine was separated from the parish. A parish church was built on the site of the destroyed shrine and larger church, to serve as the shrine, was erected on the grounds north of the former shrine. The groundbreaking for the new shrine took place on November 27, 1976.
The new shrine was dedicated on April 19, 1980. It seats 3,500 people. An estimated 50,000 people attended the dedication. The shrine was completed in 1995. It was designated a national shrine on March 24, 1998, and the following year on June 12, 1999 Pope John Paul II designated it as a minor basilica.
Visit Ignatius Press for the best in Catholic Reading!