Good Counsel Homes
Shrines and Holy Places
Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa
Salvatorian Fathers Monastery
5755 Pennsylvania St.
Merrillville, IN. 46410
The shrine is the ending point and meeting place for Polish walking pilgrimages. Pilgrims usually plan to reach the shrine just before the Solemnity of Assumption which is a national feast day in Poland.
Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration
Immaculate Heart of Mary Province
1515 W. Dragoon Trail
P.O. Box 766
Mishawaka, IN 46546-0766
As we enter the Third Millennium, the Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration continue to live and cherish the motto of our Foundress, Ven. Mother Theresia Bonzel, "He Leads, I Follow."
As members of a Papal congregation approved by the Church we are responsible to serve the whole people of God and reverence the Pope and the Magisterium.
In the life stories of founders and foundresses we see a constant and lively sense of the Church, which they manifest by their full participation in all aspects of the Church's life, and in their ready obedience to the bishops - especially the Roman Pontiff.
A distinctive aspect of ecclesial communion is allegiance of mind and heart to the Magisterium of the bishops, an allegiance which must be lived honestly, and be dearly testified to before the People of God by all consecrated persons. (Vita Consecrata)
Open for retreats and special occasions.
Basilica of the Sacred Heart
University of Notre Dame
South Bend, IN 46556
Father Edward Sorin, CSC, the founder of the University of Notre Dame, had the first church erected at Notre Dame in 1848.
The current church was begun 22 years later in 1870. After numerous revisions and additions it was consecrated by Bishop Joseph Dwenger on August 15, 1888.
The Gothic Revival church was patterned after the Church of the Gesł in Rome, the mother church of the Society of Jesus designed by Giacomo Barozzi da Vignola in 1568. The 116 stained glass windows and over 1200 panels of glass were created in LeMans, France,
In 1968, the church was renovated to bring it to line with the liturgical reform of the Second Vatican Council. The church again received a renovation 20 years later.
On January 17, 1992, Pope John Paul II raised the Church of the Sacred Heart to the status of Basilica.
National Shrine of Our Lady of Providence
Sisters of Providence
Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, IN. 47876-1096
In May 1925, the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods established the National Shrine of Our Lady of Providence in the United States.
Sisters of Providence and others gather at the National Shrine of Our Lady of Providence to pray for the many intentions sent to the shrine. Special prayers are offered for the needs of all families, asking for the protection and intercession of Our Lady of Providence as Queen of the Home.
Buildings on the grounds include:
Church of the Immaculate Conception
Construction of the Indiana limestone Church was started in 1886. By June 1892, plastering had been done and the installation of a temporary wooden floor, seats and altars permitted the sisters to worship in the Italian Renaissance style edifice. Ten years later the organ was installed.
Blessed Sacrament Chapel
Sacrament Chapel was "most reflective of her interior spirit," wrote Sister Mary Roger Madden in the third volume of the Sisters of Providence history, "The Path Marked Out." Ground was broken for this Chapel of Perpetual Adoration April 9, 1920. It was consecrated May 19, 1924, by Bishop Joseph Chartrand, who called it the Chapel of Divine Love.
Our Lady of Fatima Shrine
The Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes
Shrine of St. Agnes
Shrine of the Blessed Virgin Mary
St. Anne Shell Chapel
Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto
Shrine of St. Joseph
First Providence Convent
Sisters of Providence web site
Seven Dolors Shrine -- Closed in 2007
The former Seven Dolors Chapel is now
Our Lady of Sorrows Church
356 W County Road 700 N,
Valparaiso, IN 46385
The church was originally the chapel on the grounds of the Seven Dolors Shrine. The chapel formed the north wing of the Franciscan Friary. It is designed in a modified Gothic style; so that it might conform to the style and materials used in the Friary itself. The exterior construction consists of yellow-hued bricks with trimming of Indiana limestone. . It was dedicated on July 4, 1959.
Seven Dolors Shrine
Beginnings of the Shrine date back to 1928, when the Friars first arrived in the Midwest. Year by year a portion of the wooded land and weed-covered terrain was slowly cleared. Grottos, monastery, service buildings and chapel began to dot the scene. By the 1960's the Shrine grounds presented a picture of spiritual grandeur in a natural setting of field and forest.
In June of 2007 the shrine was "closed by the Franciscan Friars of the Holy Land Custody, and its grounds sold for real estate."
Our Lady of Sorrows remained a diocesan parish.
"The pond and water-fall at Our Lady Of Sorrows Parish, which is a memorial to Magdalene Kubeck, a Navy Nurse who died for her country at Guam on February 15,1945, has been restored to near original condition. The pond is part of the remaining World War II Memorial on the parish grounds. Visitors and historians are welcome to view the remaining statues and pond which were once part of the Seven Dolor's Shrine."
Parish web site
Basilica of St Francis Xavier (The Old Cathedral)
205 Church St
Vincennes, IN 47591
Associated with Diocese of Evansville
Phone: (812) 882-5638
The current church is the third church on the site and was by constructed by Francis Xavier. The plans were copied from those of the Basilica of Saint Joseph Proto-Cathedral in Bardstown, Kentucky. Construction was started on March 30, 1826. It was substantially finished in 1834 and became the cathedral of the new Diocese of Vincennes.
Interior work continued. The mural of the crucifixion, St. Francis Xavier, the Madonna and Child and the four bishops of Vincennes: Saints Simon, Celestine, Stephen, and Maurice all by Wilhelm Lamprecht were added in 1870. The stations of the cross were painted by Bouasse Lebel in 1883. A new altar was added in 1904, stained glass windows were installed in 1908 and statues of Saints Joan of Arc, Francis Xavier and Patrick were placed in the niches of the front church in 1812. The Cathedral was made a basilica in 1970.
Next to the Cathedral is the Old Cathedral library, a museum and the Old French and Indiana Cemetery. Over four thousand early settlers of this area buried in the cemetery.