Shrines and Holy Places
Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
145 Church St.
Natchitoches LA 71458
In 1682, Robert Cavelier de la Salle claimed the lower Mississippi Valley in the name of God and the French King. 46 years later, in 1728 Natchitoches was established as a parish. After that came turmoil. French and Indian War, change of ownershio from French to Spanish, to English and finally church fires and no priests.
Natchitoches became a Diocese in 1853. In 1857 the present church was started and completed in 1892. Many of the fixtures inside the church were imported from Europe. The hand-painted Stations of the Cross are from France. The magnificent stained glass from Germany.
The front vestibule was added in 1955. Restoration of the church was begun in 1992 and finished with a re-dedication in 1996.
Pope Benedict XVI, raised the Church to the rank of Minor Basilica on February 22, 2009. The decree was read and the symbols of the basilica were received in Natchitoches by Bishop Ronald Herzog on January 10th, 2010.
Cathedral-Basilica of Saint Louis King of France
615 Pere Antoine Alley
New Orleans, LA 70116-3291
On March 29, 1721 the present cathedral location was designated as a church site. The first, brick and wood, church was substantially completed around 1728. It served the the area for sixty years until a fire on March 21, 1788 destroyed a number of buildings including the church.
After nearly a year construction of a new church began in early 1789. More than five years were to pass before the new church was completed in December, 1794.
Louisiana and the Floridas had been created a diocese in 1793. Since the first bishop selected New Orleans as his See city, the new church was dedicated as a Cathedral and put into service on Christmas Eve, 1794. It was designated a basilica December 9, 1964.
His Holiness Pope John Paul II visited the Cathedral in September of 1987.
The Historic Saint Ann Grotto
New Orleans, Louisiana
The Saint Ann Shrine on Ursulines Avenue in the Treme neighborhood. This shrine was started by the Saint Ann Parish in 1902.
At the end of 1934, the archconfraternity decided to add a replica of the grotto of Lourdes.
The grotto and shrine, encompassed the entire city block bounded by North Galvez, Ursuline, Governor Nichols, and North Johnson Streets. The complex included several wood frame cottages which had been converted to classrooms for the school, the rectory, Grotto, and the Confraternity's office and gift shop, located on the corner of N.Galvez and Ursuline.
On Saint Ann's Day, July 26, 2002, the shrine on its one hundredth anniversary the officiating priest announced that the archdiocese had decided that the shrine would now be officially administered by Saint Peter Claver Church
Please call the parish office 504-822-8059 for further information.
Our Lady of Prompt Succor Shrine
(Located on the campus of Ursuline Academy)
2635 State St.
New Orleans, LA. 70118
Mother St. Michel Gensoul, an Ursuline Sister promise Our Lady she would have her honored under the title of Prompt Succor (quick help) if she would receive reply from the Pope allowing her to go to New Orleans. When permission came, Mother St. Michel had a large statue carved, painted in gold, and given the special name of Our Lady of prompt Succor. . She arrived with the at the Old Ursuline Convent on December 30, 1810.
On January 7-8, 1815 while the Battle of New Orleans was being fought, the Ursuline Sisters and the women of New Orleans prayed during the night to the statue of Our Lady of Prompt Succor. After winning the Battle of New Orleans, Andrew Jackson publicly acknowledged that the American victory was won by heavenly intervention.
In 1894, Pope Leo XIII issued a decree granting the "Solemn Coronation of the Miraculous Statue of Our Lady of Prompt Succor, exposed to public veneration in the chapel of the Ursuline Convent, New Orleans."
The people of New Orleans donated their jewels for the crowns on Our Lady and baby Jesus. This statue is now positioned on the altar of the National Shrine of Our Lady of Prompt Succor.