and our Seminaries
Scapulars. Jewelry. Crucifixes
Stylish & Modest Fashion
Shrines and Holy Places
In municipality order
The Shrine of St. Bernadette
11509 Indian School Rd NE
Albuquerque, NM 87112
Located in Albuquerque, New Mexico, The Shrine of St. Bernadette is the only shrine in the United States dedicated specifically to St. Bernadette. The Shrine has a lock of St. Bernadette's hair as well as a sleeping sock which Bernadette actually wore during her last years. No such relics can be found anywhere else in the United States. The mate to the sleeping sock is on display at the Bernadette Museum in Lourdes, France. In addition, the Shrine has a piece of the rock that Our Lady of Lourdes stood on during her visits to Bernadette.
Those who make pilgrimages to The Shrine of St. Bernadette can gain a plenary indulgence each time they visit. Interested pilgrims can schedule a guided tour with the director of the Shrine. To schedule a pilgrimage date, contact the parish office.
More information about visiting the Shrine
St. Joseph's Mission
Laguna Pueblo, Route 66
Laguna, NM. 87026
San Jose Mission is built in 1699 in the early Pueblo style architecture, and unlike other missions of the same period, is constructed of field stone, adobe, mortar, and plaster. The interior white plaster is renewed regularly. The inside of the massive walls measure 105 feet by 22 feet, and the only openings in the fortress like structure are the doorway and a small window in the upper front below the twin bells, which are set in the parapet.
San Jose is famous for its interior decoration. Original Laguna art and rare early Spanish paintings adorn the walls and altar. The ornately carved wooden doors welcome visitors year round. Mural in red, green, yellow, and black decorate the earthen walls. The ceiling above the sanctuary is painted with Laguna symbols of a rainbow, the sun, moon, and stars.
Shrine & Parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe
3600 Parraquia Street
PO Box 298
Mesilla Park, NM 88047
In 1581 Franciscan missionaries traveled the Camino Real through the Las Cruces Diocese, on their way to northern New Mexico, the country around them was only sparsely inhabited by semi-nomadic Indians of fragmented tribes. From 1659, the mission church of Nuestra Seņora de Guadalupe at Paso del North (the Juarez of today) was the point through which most of the missionary efforts and colonizing expeditions passed.
The Sacraments of Baptism, Marriage and Burial were administered from Nuestra Seņora de Guadalupe at El Paso to the early settlers of Doņa Ana, Mesilla and Las Cruces by circuit-riding priests from the mission.
In 1850, all of New Mexico came under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Sante Fe. By 1852 there were churches at Doņa Ana, Mesilla and Las Cruces. But Mesilla was the first to have a resident priest.
Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi
The Saint Francis Cathedral
131 Cathedral Place P.O. Box 2127
Santa Fe, NM 87504-2127
Phone: (505) 982-5619
The mother church of the Archdiocese of Santa Fe.
This magnificent Romanesque cathedral is a rare departure from Santa Fe's Pueblo architecture.
Construction was begun in 1869 by Santa Fe's first archbishop, Jean Baptiste working with French architects and Italian stonemasons. The church has had a number of additions and renovations. It is now a Neo-Romanesque church with two side aisles, round arches, a great rose window. It has two eighty-five-foot towers which were to be topped with 160-foot steeples but funding ran out and the spires were never finished.
The Cathedral was elevated to a Basilica by Pope Benedict XVI on October 4, 2005.
Nuestra Senora de la Conquistadora Chapel
The first church on this site was a small adobe structure built in 1610. This was replaced in 1639 but destroyed by the Pueblo Indian Revolt of 1680. It was rebuilt in 1714 and named in honor of Saint Francis of Assisi, the Patron Saint of Santa Fe. The existing Cathedral was built around this church. A small adobe chapel, the Conquistadora chapel, that was part of this church was kept and restored. It holds a statue of the Virgin Mary that was brought from Spain in 1625. It is believed to be the oldest representation of the Virgin Mary in the United States.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe
417 Agua Fria Street
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87501
The Santuario de Guadalupe in Santa Fe, built shortly after 1776, is an enduring landmark commemorating the strong presence of our Lady of Guadalupe. This is the oldest, still-standing shrine built in honor of Our Lady in the United States.
In 1973, the then Archbishop Robert F. Sanchez launched an official effort to raise the necessary funds to restore the mission.
The Archdiocese "deeded" the building to newly formed non-profit, non-sectarian Guadalupe Historic Foundation to help seek grants to restore the church and administer its use.
In 2005 the Santuario de Guadalupe was transfered back to Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish.
Voices of our prelates
defending our faith
Visit Ignatius Press for the best in Catholic Reading!