and our Seminaries
the United States
Shrines and Holy Places
St. Mary's Cathedral
22 W. Kiowa Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
Early settlers in this Colorado area were gold miners and seekers few of whom were Catholic. Sunday mass was held in homes, stores and temporary chapels.
In 1888 the present church property was purchased and by 1891, the basement of the church was completed. The church was completed in 1898 and dedicated Dec. 19, 1898.
Substantial installations and decorations were added later.
Bell towers were installed in 1902.
Gothic arched plaster ceilings, the six side aisle windows and electric lighting were added between 1902 and 1904.
The two towers were extended and steeples added in 1907.
The original pipe organ was replaced in 1916 and used until 2002.
The stained glass windows of the clerestory were installed and the stained glass windows on the east and west walls of the apse were added from 1923-24.
In 1930, limestone facings were added to the three main entrances and adjacent windows. The rose window over the choir loft was changed to its current configuration. The exterior of the church underwent a major renovation in 1961.
Further modernization of the Church took place in the 1980's
In 1984 Diocese of Colorado Springs was founded and the St. Mary's parish church selected as the new Cathedral. Our Lady of Guadalupe was chosen as the Patroness of the Diocese.
Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration
7665 Assisi Heights
Colorado Springs, CO 80919
The Sisters of Saint Francis of Perpetual Adoration is an international congregation of Sisters from Germany, the United States, the Philippine Islands and Brazil.
Sister Maria Theresia Bonzel's small community founded in Olpe, Germany, expanded to the United States in 1875 and settled in Lafayette, Indiana. By 1941 the community had grown to warrant the establishment of a second Province in Colorado.
Mount Saint Francis, home of the Saint Joseph Province of The Sisters of Saint Francis of Perpetual Adoration, is located in the Pike's Peak region of Colorado in Colorado Springs. Its 137 acres are nestled in the foothills of the Rampart Range of the Colorado Rocky Mountains.
Open for weekend retreats and events.
The Cathedral Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
1530 Logan Street
Denver, Co 80203
The first Catholic Church in Denver Coloradi was St. Mary's Parish Church built in 1860. . Father Joseph P. Machebeuf celebrated the first Mass on Christmas eve of 1860. In 1868, Father Machebeuf, Saint Mary's Pastor, was appointed as bishop of Colorado and St. Mary's became the Cathedral.
In 1890, Bishop Nicholas C. Matz built a brick and sandstone school building. For a time the Cathedral was temporarily in the basement of the building.
In 1902, ground was broken for the new present Cathedral. Due to a lack of funds, the cornerstone was only laid four years later in 1906. The cathedral's twin 210 foot spires were capped in 1911. The exterior of the structure is made up of limestone from Indiana and granite from Gunnison, Colorado. The altar, statuary, and bishop's chair are all made of marble imported from Carrara, Italy. The seventy-five stained glass windows are from Munich.
The Cathedral was consecrated in 1921 and elevated to a minor basilica on December 25, 1979. In 1993, His Holiness John Paul II celebrated Mass at the Cathedral as part of the World Youth Day celebration.
The Cathedral is now an inner-city parish. Each year it provides 50,000 to 60,000 lunches to the poor and homeless. Its' financial needs are great. Please consider contributing.
Mother Cabrini Shrine
20189 Cabrini Blvd.
Golden, CO 80401
In 1902 Mother Cabrini visited the Italian immigrants and their families in the Clear Creek, Argentine, and South Park mining districts. While there she found a property on the east slope of Lookout Mountain owned by the town of Golden. She purchased the property as a summer camp for her Queen of Heaven Orphanage.
On the property were two fine barns and a springhouse built in 1890s. There was no water on the property but Mother Cabrini found a spring on the barren hillside, The miraculous spring still flows today.
During her last visit to the foothills in 1912 that she and a builder, Thomas Eckrom, drew up plans for a stone house that would serve as a dormitory for the girls.
On the hill, Mother Cabrini arranged large white stones in the shape of a heart, surrounded by a smaller stone cross and crown of thorns.
The shrine has a 22-foot statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus adorned by the Stations of the Cross, the mysteries of the rosary and the Ten Commandments.
373 steps lead to the statue.
The Shrine of St. Thérèse
300 Goodnight Avenue
Pueblo, Colorado 81004
The present church and shrine was started in 1989 and completed in October, 1994.
It replaced a church built on the site in 1949.
The shrine area is set off from the chapel by a steel screen, reminding us that Saint Thérèse was a cloistered religious. Behind the screen is a large woodcarving of St. Thérèse, a gift of Bishop Willging to the parish in 1952. There are five faceted glass windows at the west end of the chapel representing five flowers favored by St. Thérèse. The flowers represent her virtues: LOTUS- triumph over evil; OLIVE- peace; DAISY- innocence; VIOLET- humility; and, ROSE-joy.
Shrine of the Stations of the Cross
Sangre de Cristo Parish
P.O. Box 326
San Luis, CO. 81152
The Shrine, "la Mesa de la Piedad y de la Misericordia" or Hill of Piety and Mercy, was built for the parishioners of Sangre de Cristo Parish who wanted a place of prayer and solace.
The Stations of the Cross were sculptured of bronze by Huberto Maestas. Beyond the Stations is a grotto of Our Lady of Guadalupe with sandstone statues of the Virgin Mary and Juan Diego. Also on the mesa stands a beautiful mission style church.
Visit Ignatius Press for the best in Catholic Reading!
Publisher: Delphi Communications | Editor: Alex Majthenyi | 36 Garth Road, Scarsdale, NY 10583
Phone: 914-725-8000 | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org |
Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy