and our Seminaries
Shrines and Holy Places
Basilica of the Immaculate Conception
37174 State Highway VV
Conception, MO 64433
Phone: (660) 944-3100
From their site:
"Abbot Frowin and seven novices arrived in 1873 from Engelberg, Switzerland, to establish a monastic community in the hills of Northwest Missouri. Called originally to serve the needs of Irish and German settlers, the monks of Conception continue that tradition today as pastors, chaplains, teachers, scholars, musicians and artisans. At the center of it all is the "dignified" church that so captured the mind and heart of Abbot Frowin.
The architecture of the new monastery and church was vital to Abbot Frowin and he took an active role in their design. Believing that the style of a building influenced the values of the people inside it, he insisted that an authentic Romasesque style best suited the monastic value of simplicity. While most Benedictine monasteries in Germany and Switzerland were built in the more decorative Baroque style, Abbot Frowin’s decision to return to the older Romanesque style indicated that Conception would seek a more classical Benedictine spirituality.
By 1880 the monks had completed the first wing of the monastery, and on Trinity Sunday, May 20, 1883, the cornerstone of the church was laid. But soon construction was sidetracked when the need for a school took precedence over finishing the church.
Brother Adrian Wewer, a Franciscan friar from Illinois, was hired as the primary architect and construction on the church resumed April 24, 1889. A short three years later, through the joint effort of local farmers, monks and contractors, the church was finished. It was dedicated on May 10, 1891."
On May 10, 1941 Pope Pius XII designated the church of Conception Abbey a minor basilica.
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
416 West 12th Street
Kansas City, MO 64105
In 1833, a French missionary, Father Benedict Roux, arrived with instructions to form a permanent parish. At 11th and Broadway, the community built a log cabin church in 1835, and named it St. John Francis Regis.
A permanent brick church was built on the site in 1857.
In 1868 dioceses were formed in St. Joseph and in 1880 in Kansas City. When Bishop John Joseph Hogan arrived in 1880, he selected ythe church to become the Cathedral. Construction was started in 1882 and the first services was on Trinity Sunday in 1883.
In 1895, a carillon of eleven bells was added. The Cathedral is on the highest ground in the city, and the cupola is visible from miles away.
The National Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
St. Mary's of the Barrens Historic District
1811 West St. Joseph Street
Perryville, MO 63775
In 1818 Father Joseph Rosati and a small group of Vincentian Missionaries were sent from Bardstown, Kentucky, to begin the church. The first structure was a small log cabin which is still preserved.
In 1827 construction of the present church was started. With local contributions and from Europe it was completed and consecrated in October of 1837.
The Church received a new facade in 1913. The shrine chapel was built in 1930 The sanctuary was rearranged for Masses facing the people in 1967 and was redecorated in 1980.
Today the church is a part of St. Vincent de Paul parish and operates as an independent "public church".
Shrine of Saint Philippine Duchesne
Academy of the Sacred Heart
St. Charles, Missouri.
Saint Philippine Duchesne came to America in 1818 with four missionary sisters. They establish themselves in St. Charles on the Mississippi River and in 34 years founded twelve Sacred Heart schools in St. Charles, Florissant, New Orleans and St. Louis.
Philippine died on Nov. 18, 1852. She was buried on the grounds of the Sacred Heart Academy in St. Charles. After three years, her body was exhumed, found to be miraculously intact, and was moved to a small octagonal shrine in the front yard of the Academy.
Following her beatification in 1940 Rome decreed that her remains be moved to a suitable place indoors. A place was prepared of the original (1835) convent and in 1949 her body was placed in a marble sarcophagus.
A permanent shrine to honor this pioneer Religious of the Sacred Heart was begun in 1951 on June 13, 1952, the sarcophagus was moved into the finished Shrine. Saint Philippine Duchesne was canonized on July 3, 1988.
Shrine of St Joseph
1220 N 11th Street
St Louis, MO 63106
In 1843 the Jesuits founded the parish of St Louis. The following year they began construction of a church which was dedicated on the first Sunday in August of 1846
In 1864, Father Francis Xavier Weninger, a famous Jesuit missionary, came to St. Joseph's Parish to preach on the Blessed Peter Claver. Mrs. Strecker was ub attendance and was so impressed that she implored her dying husband to seek the help of Peter Claver. The next day, Wednesday, March 16, 1864, Mr. Strecker arrived at the church just as Father Weninger was blessing the congregation with a relic of Peter Claver. The priest allowed him to kiss the relic. Immediately, the sick man was immediately healed and within a few days returned to his job. In a few months, he was restored to full health. This is the only authenticated miracle in the midwestern U.S.
During the cholera epidemic of 1866, the parish had 10-15 funerals per day. The parish prayed for the end of the epidemic, pledging to Saint Joseph to build a monument in his honor. The Parish was spared and they built a magnificent altar. Patterned after the Jesuit's Gesu church in Rome. The church was dramatically enlarged at this time.
In the the late 1970s this church was going to be demolished; but the Friends of the Shrine of St. Joseph, raised funds to restore the church to its former glory.
Basilica of Saint Louise
"The Old Cathedral"
209 Walnut Street
St. Louis, Missouri 63102
phone: (314) 231-3250
When the city of St Louis was established a plot of land was set aside for a Catholic Church. The earliest church was a log cabin erected in 1776.. It was replaced by a brick church in 1818.
In 1826 the Diocese of St. Louis was established and a larger church, the cathedral of St. Louis, King of France was begun. The cornerstone of the church was laid on August 1, 1831. Construction was complete by late 1834, and on October 26, 1834, the cathedral was consecrated.
1914 a New Cathedral was dedicated on Lindell Blvd in the western part of the city. The title of Cathedral passed to the new edifice. but to most St. Louisans this Church remained the "Old" Cathedral.
On January 27, 1961, Pope John XXIII signed a Decree naming the former Cathedral of St. Louis, a Basilica, recognizing it as "a treasure of the universal church". It belongs in a real sense to the whole world and not just to our locality. The ornamental insignia of a basilica are the half open umbrella (canopeum), and the bell in the key shaped frame (tintinnabulum) which led papal processions. These insignia are displayed in the rear of the church.
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Louis
4431 Lindell Boulevard
St. Louis, Missouri 63108
In February of 1905, plans for a new Cathedral for the Archdiocese of Saint Louis were drawn but construction was delayed by a devastating tornado. On May 1, 1907, ground was broken, and construction began.
In 1914 the first Holy Mass was celebrated and two days later the first wedding.
In 1915, the new Kilgen organ was dedicated. In 1917, the Blessed Sacrament Chapel was used for the first time. Its bronze gates had graced the Austrian exhibit at the Saint Louis 1904 World's Fair.
The German mosaics firm of August Wagner undertook the red and gold designs of the transept galleries, then completed the Arch of Triumph and the Arch of Creation, followed by the pendentives underscoring the main dome and the Doctors of the Church pendentives surrounding the Sanctuary Dome.
The Cathedral was consecrated on June 29, 1926, the Centennial of the creation of the Diocese of Saint Louis. More than 100,000 people gathered along Lindell Boulevard to witness the procession of the Blessed Sacrament that evening.
Work continued. In 1930, the mosaics depicting the life of Saint Louis were completed in the Cathedral's narthex. After World War II, a sacristy was added to the north end of the structure. The Kilgen organ was replaced, and work on the mosaics continued. It was completed in 1988.
In 1997, the Cathedral was designated as a Cathedral Basilica by Pope John Paul II, who honored the Cathedral Basilica with a visit on his history-making visit to the United States in October of 1999.