Legion of Christ
Regnum Christi Live
National Catholic Register
The World Seen from Rome
Shrines and Holy Places
Abbey of Regina Laudis
273 Flander Road
Bethlehem, Connecticut, 06751
Regina Laudis is a monastery of contemplative Benedictine women living in union with the Roman Catholic Church and following the Rule of St. Benedict according to the Primitive Observance. It was founded in 1947 by Mother Benedict Duss and elevated to the status of an abbey in 1976.
The Abbey comprises approximately 400 acres of both wild and cultivated land, including a non-commercial working farm, professionally operated by the community. They raise dairy and beef cattle, swine, sheep, and oxen, with a developing specialty in breeds in need of conservation.
The community is presently made up of 40 women. In addition to farming they excel in pottery, weaving, blacksmithing, candle-making, photography, book-binding, cheese-making, and graphic design.
St. Margaret's Shrine
2523 Park Avenue,
Bridgeport, CT 06604
St. Margaret Shrine was a Parish Shrine at the former St. Raphael Parish.
In 2012, St. Raphael Parish was closed and the shrine is now a Diocesan Shrine - the only Shrine in the Diocese of Bridgeport.
The shrine has been expanded and paths lead to individual shrines including Our Lady of Fatima, Our Lady of Guadelupe, Our Lady of Charity, Our Lady of Lourdes, Our Lady of Lavanga, St. Padre Pio of Pietrelcina, St. Sebastian, and St. Margaret.
There are two chapels on the site, the St. Anthony Chapel and the St. Padre Pio Chapel and a veteran memorial.
Our Lady of Fatima Shrine is on
Convent of the Sacred Heart
1177 King Street
Greenwich, Connecticut 06831
Main Telephone: 203-531-6500
St. Madeleine Sophie Barat founded the Society of the Sacred Heart in Paris in 1800. She envisioned a school that, while laying the foundation for an active faith and compassionate service for the poor, would develop each student's gifts and awaken a thirst for lifelong learning.
In 1818, St. Philippine Duchesne led a group of five French-speaking Religious of the Sacred Heart (RSCJs) to the New World and started the first free school for girls west of the Mississippi River.
In 1848, Mother Aloysia Hardey, RSCJ founded a Convent of the Sacred Heart. on Bleecker Street in Manhattan. The School moved to the Bronx in 1904 and to Greenwich, CT in 1945.
St. Philippine Duchesne in Kansas
RSCJ in higher education
Cathedral of St Joseph
140 Farmington Ave.
Hartford, CT 06105
The Diocese of Hartford became a separate diocese in 1872. Four years later, on August 30, 1876 ground was broken for the original Cathedral of St Joseph. The basement was finished in 1878 but, funding ran out and the cathedral was not finished and consecrated until 1892.
It was a grand Gothic cathedral seating about 2000 people. Starting in 1938 the cathedral structure was completely rebuilt.
On December 31, 1956 the cathedral caught fire and very quickly was completely destroyed.
In August 1957 the architectural firm, Eggers and Higgins, of New York, submitted several designs for a new Cathedral. By December the design was set.
Ground was broken on September 8, 1958 and on May 15, 1962, the completed edifice was consecrated.
The new contemporary cathedral has a spectacular expanse of stained glass windows from Paris. The ceramic tile mural behind the altar is the largest of its kind in the world.
Including the two side chapels the cathedral seats 1,750 people.
Lourdes in Litchfield
P.O. Box 667
Route 118 (East Street)
Litchfield, CT 06759
For information call: (860) 567-1041
This Shrine to Our Lady of Lourdes was built during the 1955 Marian Year by the Missionaries of the Company of Mary. The Missionaries welcome pilgrimages to this healing and peaceful place. The main shrine is the grotto of Our Lady built from local fieldstone and modeled after the actual grotto in Lourdes France.
My Father's House Spiritual Retreat Center
39 North Moodus Road
Moodus, CT 06469
My Father's House , a renewal and retreat center located on 62 acres of beautiful rolling hills.
It was founded by co-directors, Missionary of the Holy Apostles Father Bill McCarthy, and Sister of St. Joseph, Sister Bernadette Sheldon. It was officially dedicated by Bishop Daniel P. Reilly on June 15, 1984.
Its life style is simple, loving, and prayerful. It is also available for family reunions and receptions. There is a large Christian video and audio cassette library as well as recreational equipment and picnic areas available - all in a typical rustic, resort-type setting.
Shrine of the Infant of Prague
St. Mary’s Church
5 Hillhouse Avenue
New Haven, CT 06505
The miraculous statue of the Infant of Prague was brought from Spain to Prague in the 16th century and enshrined there in Our Lady of Victory Church in 1628. Following invasion of the city by the Turks, Father Cyril, one of the shrine’s friars, was spoken to by the infant Jesus who encouraged him to repair the broken hands of this statue, promising "The more you honor me, the more I will bless you."
"Here at the Dominican Shrine of the Infant Jesus of Prague, we continue to honor Him. We bring before Him for blessing all who are in need. We celebrate Mass every day at noon for the intentions of those who write us. Here at the Shrine we also remember those who have no one to help them and who share in His infancy – the unborn victims of abortion, the battered and unloved, the orphaned and the undernourished children of the world."
Knights of Columbus Museum
1 State Street
New Haven, CT 06511
The Knights of Columbus was founded in 1882, in New Haven, Connecticut. The Knights of Columbus Museum, Inc. was established 100 years (1982) also in New Haven.
The museum has permanent exhibitions of artwork and history as well as periodic exhibitions of art and artifacts particularly those representing our Catholic heritage. It also has a collections of
Christopher Columbus and papal memorabilia that are on regular exhibition.
The building also serves as an archive, repository, and gallery for documents and artifacts pertaining to the Catholic fraternal organization’s foundation, history and activities;
A permanent gallery of the K of C’s annals
A collection dedicated to its founder (and sainthood candidate), Father Michael J. McGivney (1852-1890).
Group Tour Information -- Telephone: 203-752-4630
St Patrick Cathedral
Father Mullen, who had served as a chaplain in the Civil War, started assembling land for Saint Patrick's church in 1879. He planned to build a magnificent gothic church large enough to seat almost two thousand people.
James Murphy of Providence was employed as the architect. The cost was estimated at three hundred thousand dollars. To reduce expenses, parishioners volunteered and did some of the work. Excavation was started on April 7, 1871, by an army of parishoners.
To raise funds, Father Mullin instituted a "Ten Cents A Week" Club to collect from the working families in the parish.
On March 3, 1878, Father Mullen died. For ten years he had worked hard to give the people of Norwich a church of which they could be proud. By then, the church walls and the roof to the ridgepole were completed. On March 16,1879, although the floor was not finished, the first Mass was celebrated in the church. On September 8,1879 parishioners
Celebrated the formal opening and dedication.
On Aug. 6, 1953, Pope Pius XII divided the Diocese of Hartford into three. Norwich became a diocese and St. Patrick's church was re-consecrated a Cathedral.
The Basilica of Saint John the Evangelist
The Mother Church of Stamford
279 Atlantic Street
Stamford, Connecticut 06901
Connecticut did not have freedom of religion until the state constitution passed in 1818.
The first Catholic community started in 1842. In 1849 the community purchased land, and built the original church of Saint John the Evangelist, a small wooden church on Meadow Street.
Six years later Saint John’s became an independent mission.
The Stamford Catholic population grew to 3,000 around 1870 and the small church became too small for the parish. Land for a new church was purchased in 1868. James Murphy of Providence, Rhode Island a well known church architect, was chosen for the design. The new church of Saint John the Evangelist was completed and consecrated on May 30, 1886.
His Holiness, Pope Benedict XVI, raised Saint John the Evangelist to a Minor Basilica on July 16, 2009.
Villa Maria Guadalupe
Sisters of Life
159 Sky Meadow Drive
Stamford, CT 06903
Villa Maria Guadalupe is an international retreat center of the Knights of Columbus
operated by the Sisters of Life.
A Sanctuary of renewal, hope and mercy under the protection of the Blessed Mother,
Villa Maria Guadalupe promises to play a unique and integral role as the spiritual
foundation of the Culture of Life.
The Basilica Of The Immaculate Conception
74 West Main Street
Waterbury, Connecticut 06702
Construction of the Immaculate Conception Church began in 1926 and it was dedicated May 20, 1928, by Bishop John J. Nilan.
The architecture is Italian Renaissance and the style follows the St. Mary basilica in Rome.
On February 9, 2008 the title minor basilica was conferred upon the Church by the authority of the Holy Father entrusted to the Vatican Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.
The bestowal of the title initiated a very particular bond between the church and the Holy Father and the Waterbury church became the first basilica in the state of Connecticut.
The Shrine of Saint Anne For Mothers
515 South Main Street
Waterbury, CT 06706
Construction of this beautiful Gothic church began in 1906. In the next six years materials for the church exterior were carefully selected and the basement was finished.
Services were held in the basement for more then a decade while funds were collected and years were lost to World War I. Saint Anne’s was substantially completed and dedicated on December 17, 1922. Further funding was needed to finish details such as stained glass.
In 1971 fire destroyed the sacristy and several stained glass windows. In 1978 a second fire destroyed the same areas. Through the parishioners perseverance the church has regained its original beauty.
Scapulars. Jewelry. Crucifixes
Stylish & Modest Fashion