and our Seminaries
the United States
Shrines and Holy Places
Dowd Memorial Chapel of the
Boystown, Nebraska 68010
Visitors are welcome to attend Mass at Dowd Chapel.
Rising from the landscape in the tradition of a 15th-century Gothic church, Dowd Chapel shines as a beacon of hope for thousands of children seeking comfort and consolation.
Adjacent to the nave on the west side is the Father Flanagan Shrine. Boys Town's famous founder is entombed in a bronze vault that briefly tells his life story to thousands of visitors every year. Father Flanagan often said, "All boys need to learn how to pray, how they pray is up to them."
Cathedral of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Also know as St. Mary's Cathedral
207 South Elm Street
Grand Island, Nebraska 68801
Work was begun on the present cathedral church in 1926 and finished in 1928. Cardinal Patrick Hayes of New York City presided at the dedication ceremonies on July 5 in the same year.
When the new cathedral was finished the parishoners that it was too big. In a few years, the numbers of families attending St. Mary's had grown to more than 800, while the capacity of the cathedral was 900 persons. In the spring of 1949, it was decided to form a new parish, Blessed Sacrament, on the north side of the city.
Cathedral of the Risen Lord
3500 Sheridan Boulevard
Lincoln NE 68506
The Cathedral of the Risen Christ Church, the mother church of the Diocese of Lincoln.
"A cathedral is always known as the spiritual home of its diocese. The title of our Cathedral of the Risen Christ exemplifies the resurrection of Jesus in its art and furnishings, and in this cathedral the Presence of Christ in the Blessed Sacrament in the tabernacle is the focus of silent, perpetual adoration."
Cathedral of St. Cecilia
701 North 40th Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68131
Begun in 1905 services were first held in 1916. The Cathedral was consecrated in 1959, historic Saint Cecilia Cathedral is the master work of renowned architect, Thomas Rogers Kimball.
The building reflects Spanish Renaissance architecture in El Escorial, a monastery and palace complex some 50 miles north of Madrid.
Ranked among the ten largest cathedrals in the United at the time of its completion, the structure is two hundred fifty-five feet in length, one hundred fifty-eight feet in width and two hundred twenty-two feet in height.
It was designated Omaha Landmark: May 22, 1979
Visit Ignatius Press for the best in Catholic Reading!
Publisher: Delphi Communications | Editor: Alex Majthenyi | 36 Garth Road, Scarsdale, NY 10583
Phone: 914-725-8000 | e-mail: email@example.com |
Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy