Good Counsel Homes
Shrines and Holy Places
Assumption Chapel #
c/o St. Boniface Church
418 Main St.
Cold Springs, MN. 56320
In 1877 Cold Spring was invaded by Rocky Mountain grasshoppers and all crops in the area were destroyed. The farmers promised Blessed Virgin that they would build a chapel in her honor if the grasshoppers left. The grasshoppers left and they built a chapel. The first chapel was destroyed by a tornado in 1894 and was replaced in 1951
Epiphany Fatima Shrine #
The Church of the Epiphany
1900 111th Ave NW
Coon Rapids, MN 55433
A Rosary Garden unlike any other in the United States. Each "bead" of the Rosary is a white marble relief of Mary and Jesus.
Stations of the Cross Garden featuring 15 large reliefs showing Christ's passion.
The Basilica of Saint Mary (Co-Cathedral)
88 North 17th Street
Building of the present basilica initiated by Archbishop John Ireland in 1903. A donation of land was received by the church two years later. The architect, Emmanuel Louis Masqueray, was commissioned for the design of the Baroque Revival church. The cornerstone was laid in 1908. Exterior construction lasted for nearly six years. Interior construction was not complete until 1925.
The main entrance to the Basilica has a 15 foot rose stained glass window above the entrance. The sanctuary is located under a domed roof that rises 138 feet above the floor. The church has sixty stained glass windows. It seats nearly 3,000 people.
It was raised to a basilica by Pope Pius XI on February 1, 1926 making it the first American basilica.
In 1954 eight double bronze doors were installed containing the symbols of the apostles and the evangelists. This completed the requirements that make a church a basilica.
It is on the list of Historical Places.
Saint Odilia Shrine#
Crosier Community of Onamia
P.O. Box 500
Onamia, MN 56359-0500
In the fourth century, Saint Odilia and ten other virgins from England were seeking a place where they could peacefully practice their faith. The ship they were on went up the Rhine river. At Cologne they were captured and killed in defense of their Christian faith and their purity
In 1287, Saint Odilia appeared to John Novelan, a lay brother of the Crosier Order in Paris, and told him she had been appointed by God to be the Patron Saint and Protectors of the members of the Order of the Holy Cross (now commonly called Crosier Fathers). She informed him also that her relics were to be found in an orchard in Cologne. The brother asked permission to find the relics but was refused. Saint Odilia appeared two more times and the Prior consented and a priest of the Order was told to accompany the brother.
They found the relics and took them to the Motherhouse of the Order at Huy in Belgium as Brother John had been instructed by Saint Odilia.
In 1952 the Crosier Fathers and Brothers in Onamia received a major relic of Saint Odilia and established a shrine in her honor.
Saint Odilia has promised a stream of graces upon the Crosier Fathers and upon all those who invoke her aid in their hour of need. Thousands of people, send petitions to be included in novenas, and through her intercession, many have been cured, especially from ailments of the eyes.
Visit Ignatius Press for the best in Catholic Reading!
Publisher: Delphi Communications | Editor: Alex Majthenyi | 36 Garth Road, Scarsdale, NY 10583
Phone: 914-725-8000 | e-mail: email@example.com |
Copyright | Disclaimer | Privacy