the United States
Stylish, Modest Fashion
Shrines and Holy Places
Brothers and Sisters of Charity
Little Portion Hermitage
350 County Road 248
Berryville, AR 72616
Monastery Phone: 479-253-0253
The Brothers and Sisters of Charity was founded by John Michael Talbot in 1980.
It is a Catholic-based community of celibate brothers, celibate sisters, single persons who can marry, and families. They share common work and recreation areas while retaining appropriate separate cloistered areas.
From John Talbot:
"Our primary founder is Jesus, our primary rule is Scripture, and love is our primary law.
We are called by God to seek this life through the profession of the evangelical counsels, poverty, chastity and obedience. We hold dear substantial silence, substantial solitude, prayer and penance."
The hermitage is supported by donations and their Little Portion Bakery:
"Our products are some of the healthiest and tastiest that have come from any monastic bakery in this country! We think this bakery leads us to Jesus, the Bread of Life through an integration of holy simplicity and godly quality."
St. Scholastica Monastery
1301 South Albert Pike
Post Office Box 3489
Fort Smith, Arkansas 72913-3489
The St. Scholastica Monastery was founded in January 1879 by four Benedictine sisters from the Monastery of the Immaculate Conception in Ferdinand, Indiana.
Since then, St. Scholastica sponsored five hospitals: staffed sixty-two elementary schools in five states, twelve music schools, and two orphanages. The sisters also staffed three high schools for boarding and day students:
St. Scholastica Monastery has a total of more than seventy professed members and sisters.
The community’s primary ministry remains living the monastic life and caring for the spiritual life of others. For vocation information, retreat schedule or spiritual help visit their site at http://www.stscho.org/
To arrange for an interior tour of the monastery, call 479-783-4147 at least one day in advance.
Visitors are welcome to walk the grounds during the day.
Cathedral of St. Andrew the Apostle
617 Louisiana Street
Little Rock, Arkansas
The early history of the Cathedral parish began with the coming to Little Rock of the priests from the Diocese of St. Louis. According to church records, the first Mass celebrated in Little Rock was celebrated by Fr. Peter Donnelly in 1830, in a room over Dugan's Store at 2nd and Main Streets. As the number of Catholics grew, a building on East Markham near Third Street was later used for religious purposes. In 1839, Fr. Joseph Richard Bole and Fr. Paris were sent to Little Rock to build a permanent structure on the grounds formerly occupied by the Arcade Building between 6th and 7th Streets on Louisiana.
405 N. Subiaco Avenue
Subiaco, AR 72865
Coury House is the retreat and guest facility of Subiaco Abbey. Dedicated to the Holy Family, Coury House assists in the Abbey's ministry of hospitality. The Abbey grounds, and the fields, forests and rolling hills of the beautiful Arkansas River Valley offer a quiet, serene, and spiritual atmosphere for prayer, meditation, reflection, and solitude. Coury House provides excellent accommodations and welcomes people from all walks of life and all faiths in the Benedictine tradition of hospitality. Our facilities include a chapel, meeting rooms, thirty-six completely furnished guest rooms (most with two twin-beds in each room), a couch, comfortable chairs, private bathroom facilities, and an elevator.