Good Counsel Homes
Shrines and Holy Places
Basilica of Saint Joseph Proto-Cathedral
310 West Stephen Foster Avenue
P.O. Box 548
Bardstown, Kentucky 40004-0548
St. Joseph's was started in July 1816. Five years later the church was ready for services. The Cathedral is the first Proto-Cathedral of the Allegheny Mountains. St Joseph's received fine paintings and other gifts from Pope Leo XII, Francis I, King of the Two Sicilies, King Louis Phillippe. The gifts from the King of France included paintings by Rubens, Murillo, Van Dyke and others. Gifts of royal embroidered vestments, the handwork of the queen and her court as well as sacramental vessels.
It is listed by the U.S. Library of Congress as a national landmark.
In 1995 St. Joseph's was named a titular see by the Vatican for its contributions to Catholic Church heritage.
In August, 2001, Pope John Paul II elevated it to the honor of a minor basilica church and an umbraculum was installed at the altar
Shrine of Mary, Mother of The Church
St. Joseph's Catholic Church
434 Church Street
Bowling Green, KY 42101
This Marian shrine is located on the grounds of St. Joseph's Catholic Church. It was blessed on May 7, 1989. It has nine stained glass windows commemorating Cana, Guadalupe, La Salette, Miraculous Medal, Tri-Millennium 2000, Legion of Mary, Lourdes, Fatima, and Tre Fontane, a large window recalling the Miracle of the Sun at Fatima and the visionaries,- Blessed Francesco, Jacinta, and Sister Lucy, and three life-size windows of St. Peter and Paul and the Jesus of Mercy.
Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe
617 East Main Street
Carlisle, Kentucky 40311
This Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe was founded in 1902 as St. John Church. It was renamed the parish "Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe" in 1962. The present shrine was dedicated on August 15th in 1982.
Saint Mary’s Cathedral, Basilica of the Assumption
1140 Madison Avenue
Covington, KY 41011
In 1834, St. Mary's Church was dedicated by Bishop Purcell of the Diocese of Cincinnati as the first Catholic church in Covington, Kentucky. But by 1851 St. Mary Church became insufficient to accommodate the needs of the parish.
In 1853, Pope Pius IX established the Diocese of Covington and the first bishop was appointed. The bishop chose the site purchased for St. Mary's Church for the a diocesan cathedral and laid the cornerstone on October 2, 1853. By 1868 the parish had outgrown the cathedral.
In 1885, Reverend Camillus Paul Maes commenced planning a magnificent cathedral and in 1890 purchase the land for it. Ground was broken on April 13, 1894. The vaults, columns, and walls of the nave, transept, and apse were complete by September of 1897 and plans were made to construct a steel roof over the Cathedral.
In January of 1901 the nave, apse, and transept were completed. Funds had dissipated, so a plain brick wall closed the nave and temporary plain glass windows were installed and then glazed to remove the glare. Bishop Maes dedicated the cathedral for use on January 27, 1901. Specifications for the building of the facade were not completed until 1908. and construction was completed, along with the stained glass window installation in 1910.
Abbey and Basilica of Our Lady of Gethsemani
3642 Monks Road
Trappist Kentucky, 40051
In 1805 a congregation of French Trappists from the Abbey of La Valsainte in Switzerland
Came to meet Fr/ Stephen Badin the first Catholic priest ordained in the United States. They settled near Bardstown but left in 1809 after a year of bad flooding. That land and a group of ten or twelve log buildings was next owned by the Sisters of Loretto. At the time it was more than 2,000 acres of farmland and was known as Gethsemani.
In 1847 two monks from the Abbey of Melleray in France and made a deal for the land. In 1848, forty-four monks of the Abbey of Melleray left France with their leader - Fr. Eutropius Proust and arrived at Gethsemani on December 21, 1848. Three years later It was made an abbey.
Abbey-church consecrated November 15, 1866. The abbey church of this country's first permanent "Trappist Cistercian" foundation. It was honored with the rank of Basilica on May 3. 1949.
Gethsemani is well-known for its store-Gethsemani Farms-which offers handmade Trappist cheese, fruitcake and bourbon fudge on-site and by mail order.
The Shrine of The Little Flower
St. Therese Church
11 Temple Place
Southgate, KY 41071
St. Therese Church and School were founded in 1927 A.D. by Bishop Francis W. Howard. It was named after St. Therese of the Child Jesus and of the Holy Face, a Carmelite nun, from Lisieux France. St. Therese, also known as The Little Flower, distinguished herself by her burning love of God and her blind trust in Him. She died in 1897 and was canonized a saint in 1925.
The reliquary includes three first-class relics of St. Therese.
Lourdes Rosary Shrine
1104 S. Sixth Street
Louisville, KY 40203-3395
Phone: (502) 583-1950
The Lourdes Rosary Shrine resembles the grotto at Lourdes, France, where, in 1858, the Blessed Virgin Mary appeared eighteen times to the child Bernadette. It was erected in 1884, twenty-six years after the miraculous apparitions to St. Bernadette.
It is located in the Church of St. Louis Bertrand and is conducted by the Dominican Friars.
As at Lourdes, here too, many wonderful favors, both spiritual and material, have been granted in answer to prayers at the Grotto.