and our Seminaries
Shrines and Holy Places
Our Lady of La Salette Shrine
947 Park St.
Attleboro, MA. 02703
In 1846, at La Salette in France, the Blessed Mother appeared to two children. Speaking to them she told them to make her message to "make known to all my people." Inspired by Mary’s call for reconciliation with God, the Missionaries of La Salette were founded in 1852 as "ministers of religion" to be "faithful dispensers of the mysteries of God." Their charism focuses on the Reconciliation and the Eucharist.
Inspired by the tears of Mary shed at La Salette in 1846, we respond to the brokenness of our world. We offer this place of pilgrimage where people are reconciled to God, others, and self in a healing environment of beauty, peace, and prayer.
The La Salette Charism of reconciliation is the guiding principle enlightening all the theological, liturgical, and pastoral perspectives of the shrine.
Mary, Queen of the Universe National Shrine
150 Orient Ave.
East Boston, MA. 02128
The Shrine was founded by the Don Orione Fathers in 1954 and overlooks Logan Airport. It was built to fulfill the desires of Don Orione that beside every work of charity (The Don Orione Home for the Elderly) there would be a work of faith.
The 35' statue of the Blessed Mother was created by Italian-Jewish sculptor Arrigo Minerbi and is truly a work of art.
Basilica of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
1545 Tremont St.
Boston, MA. 02120
In 1869, Boston’s Archbishop Williams invited the Redemptorists to the diocese to preach their hallmark parish missions. Within two years, these pioneering men of God erected a frame church dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Help. In 1874, groundbreaking for a renowned church began that was completed within 4 years. The image of Our Lady was enthroned in the present Shrine in 1878.
The Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is the heart of the Basilica, where thousands have come to pray before the icon.
On December 8, 1954, hs Holiness Pope Pius XII glorified the Mission Church with the title of Basilica.
The Basilica of St. Stanislaus,
Bishop & Martyr
566 Front Street
Chicopee, MA 01013
St. Stanislaus Bishop and Martyr Parish was founded and financed by farsighted, hard-worked, and devout Polish immigrants who had arrived in Chicopee in the 1880’s.
The second church, located on Front Street in Chicopee, Massachusetts, was built in 1908 to accommodate the growing number of parishioners. The impressive brownstone, cathedral-like church built in the Baroque Revival Style of architecture has been regarded as one the most imposing churches in the area. The spacious interior of the church can accommodate at least 800 worshipers in the main and two side naves.
Some of the most exquisite stained-glass windows, the work of talented European artists, grace the basilica. Each stained-glass window, and there are many, has its own theme. On the walls amid the stained-glass windows on the first level are the Stations of the Cross. The artistically sculpted and painted figures of each Station of the Cross are set in the appropriate niche. The basilica is replete with religious symbolism.
The lower church is more contemporary in its architectural style. It is used daily for Masses.
St. Anne's Church & Shrine
818 Middle St.
Fall River, MA. 01518
The parish was founded in 1869 for the French Canadians who had come to Fall River, it was placed under the patronage of St. Anne, a popular saint among French-speaking people. The first parish church was a small wooden building on Hope Street. In 1892, the Dominican Fathers who had come from France and Canada decided to build a larger and more beautiful church for the growing French-speaking population, for pilgrims who would come in increasing numbers and also to show some of their ethnic pride.
The lower church was built in 1894-1895. For seven years the construction was suspended to collect sufficient funds. Then the upper church was built from 1902 to 1906. But the focus of pilgrims remained on the lower church.
The upper church, as a shrine, has chapels all around the sanctuary and a passageway, called an "ambulatory" that enables you to walk around. This form of architecture is often found in the cathedrals of Europe.
St. Anne's Shrine
Sixteen Church St.
Fiskdale, MA. 01518
Located in the picturesque small town of Fiskdale (Sturbridge), Massachusetts, Saint Anne Shrine is a sanctuary of peace and tranquility.
The Shrine is situated on 35 acres of rolling hills and woodlands. The Memorial Gardens of Saint Anne Shrine are an important part of the Shrine. Small sections of the grounds are available for "adoption" (through planting and tending) in memory of a loved one. These Memorial Gardens, each one unique and lovingly maintained, enhance the peaceful beauty and serenity of our tranquil Shrine.
The Shrine is located within the Diocese of Worcester and is staffed by the Augustinians of the Assumption.
St. Anne Shrine Gift Shop
Our Lady of Fatima Shrine
101 Summer St.
Holliston, MA. 01746
Gift Shop: (11am-5pm) 508-429-8172
Xaverian Mission Center & Our Lady of Fatima Shrine
Shrine includes Madonna Hill, with its replicas of the Fatima apparitions, Calvary Hill, the Chapel of Lights, the statue of the Angel of Peace, and the shrine grotto, which contains a replica of Michelangelo's pieta. 23 acres of grounds.
St. Joseph the Worker Shrine
37 Lee St., Box 1276
Lowell, MA. 01853
Shrine Business Office (Main) 1-978-458-6346
Shrine Secretary -- 1-978-458-6346 X 210
Shrine Administrator -- 1-978-458-6346 X 211
Shrine Gift Shop (Main) -- 1-978-459-9522
In 1868 Father André Garin OMI, came to Lowell to preach a mission for the hundreds of working persons who had now come here from Canada. A true disciple of Saint Eugene, Father Garin preached to the working people, not in "Provençal", but in French as it was spoken in Canada.
During that first mission, enough money was raised by the donations of the working people to meet the down payment for an abandoned church structure at 37 Lee Street. This was the first parish established in Lowell to serve the spiritual needs of the French-speaking immigrants. Saint Joseph was selected as the patron. In 1956, the downtown church, with its rich tradition, was dedicated as a shrine in honor of Saint Joseph the Worker.
Saint Joseph's Abbey
167 North Spencer Road
Spencer, MA 01562
Saint Joseph's Abbey is a cloistered Roman Catholic monastery of monks of the Cistercian Order of the Strict Observance, popularly known as Trappists. Set apart from the actions and trends of most of their neighbors, they live a contemplative life. Following Saint Benedict's sixth century Rule for Monasteries, the monks live in silence and solitude, in prayer and penitence, thus rendering God "a service that is at once humble and noble." Guests are invited to join some of the services:
Work has always been greatly esteemed in the Cistercian tradition, since it gives the monks the opportunity to follow in Christ' footsteps and share in His Divine work of creation and restoration. At Saint Joseph's Abbey they have three major industries: Trappist Preserves, The Holy Rood Guild, and Spencer Trappist Ale.
Trappist jams and jellies as well as a fine selection of religious books and other gifts are available at the Abbey bookshop located at the entrance to the property.
National Shrine of The Divine Mercy
Stockbridge, MA. 01262
The Shrine -- 413-298-3931
The Divine Mercy Gift Shop -- 888-484-1112
Description & album >>
Our Lady of Loreto Shrine
Our Lady of Loreto Church
33 Massasoit Rd.
Worcester, MA. 01604
Our Lady of Loreto Shrine is next to to the parish church. It is modeled after the Holy House located in Loreto, Italy.
The Shrine is open daily
Diocese web site
St Joseph Basilica
53 Whitcomb Street
Webster, Ma 01570
St. Joseph Parish was established by Polish immigrants in 1887. It is the oldest Polish-American parish in New England.
The first pastor, Father Chalupka, managed to pay off the parish debt and purchased land to build the parish school which opened in 1892. In 1903 the parish purchased land on Worcester Road for the parish cemetery. Father Chalupka remained Pastor of St. Joseph Parish until 1908.
In 1910 Monsignor Anthony Cyran was appointed pastor of St. Joseph Parish. He built new convent for the Felician Sisters, a new church and a new school later a new rectory.
In 1993 Monsignor Anthony initiated a monumental campaign to renovate St. Joseph Church. The renovation the church was rededicated on October 5th, 1997. On October 11, 1998, the Holy Father, Pope John Paul II, conferred the title of basilica on Saint Joseph Church. This special honor recognized the unique role Saint Joseph Church assumed in the history of the Polish-American community.
St. Joseph Basilica has the privilege to grant indulgences, i.e., the remission of temporal punishment for sins, which have been previously confessed. These days of indulgence are: Feast of the Chair of St. Peter (February 22), the solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul (June 29), the anniversary of the election of the Pope, the date of the elevation of the church (October 11) and on the Feast of Saint Joseph (March 19).
Visit Ignatius Press for the best in Catholic Reading!