Good Counsel Homes
Shrines and Holy Places
National Shrine Centre - Our Lady of Guadalupe,
Mother of the Americas
501 Ridge Avenue
Allentown, PA 18102
St. John Neumann founded the first Catholic parish in Allentown, PA in 1857. He called The Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The church has sixteen painted and stained glass windows depicting the life of the Blessed Virgin Mary and one of The Sacred Heart of Jesus. The church steeple is 185 feet high and can be seen from miles away.
In 1974 an episcopal committee of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops selected the site for the National Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe. A Life size replica of Our Lady of Guadalupe’s tilma image is installed in the church sanctuary.
National Centre for Padre Pio
111 Barto Road
Barto, PA 19504 USA
The museum contains the greatest display of personal belongings of Saint Pio outside of Italy. Visitors will be able to view the replica rooms through a protective glass wall. In addition, a replica of Saint Pio's crypt is crafted from marble and features an altar area.
The Our Lady of Grace Chapel is a replica of the 16th Century Capuchin Franciscan Friary Chapel, this was the first replication completed on the site in 1999.
The National Centre for Padre Pio has been recognized by the Holy See for its spiritual work. Mr. and Mrs. Calandra (the founders) have had the blessed honor and opportunity to have countless audiences with the Holy Father and to attend many Masses in his private chapel.
Saint Katharine Drexel Shrine
1663 Bristol Pike (Route 513)
Bensalem, PA 19020-8502
215-244-9900 ext. 22
Saint Katharine founded of the Sisters of The Blessed Sacrament and served the poor Native Americans and African Americans from 1891 until her death in 1955 at age 96.
She was pronounced Blessed by Pope John Paul II in November 1988 and cannonized by Pope John Paul II on October 1, 2000.
The Saint Katharine Drexel Shrine was built in 1949 at the Motherhouse of the Sisters of the Blessed Sacrament in Bensalem.
Saint Jude Church and Shrine
321 West Butler Avenue
Chalfont, PA 18914
The Shrine Chapel is a center for devotion to Saint Jude. It is open for visits to the Blessed Sacrament, prayer and reflection from morning Mass until 8:00 PM each day.
Basilica of Saints Cyril and Methodius
Motherhouse of the Sisters of Saints Cyril and Methodius
Villa Sacrewd Heart
Danville, PA 17821
The Saints Cyril and Methodius chapel was built during the depression and dedicated on October 17, 1939. The Sisters of Saints Cyril and Methodius have taken care ff this dwelling place of God and the hundreds of thousands of visitors aand pilgrim that have come to this holy place.
The chapel was elevated to a church and JUNE 30, 1989 it was designated a basilica.
National Shrine of Our Lady of Czestochowa
Doylestown, PA 18901
In 1953 a Polish Pauline monk, Father Michael M. Zembrzuski, purchased a tract of land near Doylestown with the intention of building a chapel dedicated to the Black Madonna of Czestochowa. A barn was converted into the first chapel and dedicated on June 26, 1955. The preset shrine, located on Beacon Hill, overlooking Peace Valley, was dedicated on October 16, 1966.
Outdoor Stations of the Cross, surrounded by towering evergreens are located in the obelisk in front of the Shrine.
The Ave Maria Retreat House, a Religious Retreat Center is also located on the grounds.
Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Jesus
30 Basilica Dr
Hanover, PA 17331
The Conewago parish was founded in 1730, The original log chapel was built in 1741 and enlarged in 1768. The oldest part of the present field stone and brownstone church and rectory was built in 1787. At the time, the Jesuits of Conewago ministered to the Catholic missions of York, Carlisle, and Lorretto and made visits west to the Allegheny mountains and north to Elmira, New York, all on horseback.
In 1847 the transept and apse were added. The original church was kept intact, except for the sanctuary which was removed. The beautiful paintings depicting the redemption of man were done at this time.
In 1962 Pope John XXIII proclaimed the church a Minor Basilica and conferred upon it all the spiritual privileges of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome. The canopy, called a Pavilion, and the staff and belfry in the sanctuary are symbols of this honor. An Apostolic Delegate, seven bishops and over one hundred priests, attended the proclamation.
Shrine of the Sacred Heart
Harleigh, PA 18225
Construction of the Shrine began on August 22, 1974 and was dedicated on the feast of the Sacred Heart on June 22, 1975. Situated on 40 acres it is the largest outdoor shrine in America devoted to the Sacred Heart. Located on the property are:
The Church of the Sacred Heart; The Shrine of the Sacred Heart; St. Raphael’s Hall; The Sacred Heart Center; The National Office of the Men of the Sacred Heart; St. Anne Shrine; The Tomb of Christ; The Nativity; The Tomb of the Unborn
Saint Maria Goretti Shrine
42 Redwood Drive
Laflin, PA 18702-7265
Born in Corinaldo, Ancona, Italy, on October 16 1890. Her father died of malaria and her mother had to struggle to feed her children. When she was tvelve years old, an eighteen-year-old neighbor, Alexander, grabbed her from her steps and tried to rape her. When Maria said that she would rather died than submit, Alexander began stabbing her with a knife. As she lay in the hospital, she forgave Alexander before she died.
The Saint Maria Goretti Parish was established in 1967. For ten years Mass was celebrated in the chapel of the Oblates of St. Joseph Seminary. The church of St. Maria Goretti was built in1977. A grotto of Saint Maria Goretti is located to the right of the entrance to the church.
St. Vincent Archabbey Basilica
300 Fraser Purchase Road
Latrobe, PA 15650-2690.
On April 16, 1790 Father Theodore Brouwers, O.F.M. purchased the 300 acres of land and founded Sportsman's Hall Parish. The parish was later called Saint Vincent parish after Saint Vincent de Paul.
The first parish home was built of hewn logs and served as a home for the pastor for nearly forty years.
In 1833 a Gothic church was erected on the property. The Saint Vincent Church served the parish until the present church was dedicated.
Around 1846 the firs Benedictine monastery in America was founded. It was elevated to the rank of an abbey in 1855.
Ground was broken for the present-day basilica in 1891. 75 monks assisted about the same number of lay people in building the church. The church was dedicated 14 years later on August 24, 1905. A new high altar was installed in 1955. Pope Pius XII elevated the church to the rank of basilica in the same year.
It was renovated again in 1995-96. The front spires and church bells were added in 1999.
Basilica of St. Michael the Archangel
321 St. Mary's Street
Loretto, PA 15940
814 472 8551
THE 4 CHURCHES…: 1799 – the 1st church, built of white pine logs. 1817 – the 2nd church, of frame construction. The 1st and 2nd churches sat in the same location – at the western terminus of the graveyard, as seen by the stone foundation outline remaining from the frame church. 1854 – the 3rd church was built of brick. 1901 – the 4th church, of stone, shared the present location with the 3rd church.
Construction of the church was started in 1900 and finished in 1901. It was consecrated on October 2, 1901. The architecture is Romanesque with Gothic arches.
Cost of the construction was paid for by Mr. and Mrs. John Schwab. The organ was a gift from Andrew Carnegie.
Pope Benedict XVI raised the church to the status of minor basilica in July 2005.
National Shrine of St. John Neumann
At the Parish of Saint Peter the Apostle
1019 North Fifth Street
Philadelphia Pa 19123
A spacious baroque church built in 1843. Saint John Neumann was buried here in the floor of the basement in 1860. His body now lies beneath the main altar but the slab that lay over his tomb still rests in the floor.
From the day of his funeral to this day, people have come to honor this saint and to pray to him. So the Parish of Saint Peter's has always been the host of devotion to Saint John Neumann.
Cathedral-Basilica of Sts. Peter and Paul
18th St. and the Benjamin Franklin Parkway
Philadelphia, PA 19103
The Mother Church of the Archdiocese of Philadelphia.
The Cathedral was founded June, 1846 and completed in 1864. The architecture is Italian Renaissance, modeled after the Lombard Church of St. Charles in Rome. Much of the decoration was by Constantino Brumidi, who painted the dome of the Capitol in Washington.
With a spacious main sanctuary and eight side chapels the cathedral can hold 2,000 worshipers. In the lower level of the cathedral is the "Crypt of the Bishops".
In 1976, Pope Paul VI, named and raised the Cathedral to the dignity and honor of a Basilica.
National Shrine of Saint Rita of Cascia
1166 South Broad St.,
Philadelphia, PA 19146
St. Rita is known best for forgiveness, reconciliation and peace. The Peacemaker. She was canonized in 1900.
In 1907, the Augustinian Friars from Villanova, one of the suburbs surrounding the City of Philadelphia, were asked to found a parish to assist in the care of the tens of thousands of Italian families coming into the city. They chose Saint Rita as the patron. In 1915 the magnificent upper church was completed and has continued to operate both as a parish church and as the center of devotion to the Saint of Cascia in the United States
Central Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal
475 East Chelten Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144-5785
The Medal of the Immaculate Conception or the Miraculous Medal was manifested to Saint Catherine Laboure on November 27, 1830. At the time she was a Sister in the motherhouse of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul and St. Louise de Marillac, in Paris. Catherine saw Our Lady standing on a globe, with dazzling rays of light streaming from her outstretched hands. Framing the figure was an inscription: O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. Then Mary spoke to Catherine: "Have a medal struck upon this model. Those who wear it will receive great graces, especially if they wear it around the neck."
The Central Shrine of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal was built by the Members of the Central Association of the Miraculous Medal. The association has distributed more than 75 million Miraculous Medals and 40 million booklets telling the story of the Medal and containing the Medal Novena prayers. They also distributed more than $300,000 to the poor and needy.
Saint Anthony's Chapel Shrine of Many Relics
1704 Harpster Street
Pittsburg, PA 15212
The chapel, and founded in 1883 by Father Mollinger. A collection of relics that now ranges 4,200, started from his rescuing many reliquaries from Germany during the time of Bismark's "culture struggle".
The relics are contained in 800 cases with 525 accompanying documents. Many relics contained in one reliquary require only one document, or "authentic".
The Shrine is privileged to house a major relic of St. Anthony. The friars in Padua sent the relic to the friars of Ellicott City in 1998. It is housed in a gold-leafed bust depicting the Portuguese Franciscan whom the whole world would come to know as the "miracle-worker" and "finder of lost things."
Basilica of the National Shrine of Saint Anne
1229 Saint Ann Street
Scranton, PA 18504
The Saint Ann Basilica, the Passionist's Monastery and the Saint Anne Shrine are located on a hill overlooking Scranton. The Passionist Fathers erected a temporary chapel on this site in 1902.
In 1903, the Passionists laid the corner stone for their new retreat of St Ann and in 1905 nine Passionists moved into their new home. In 1911 and again in 1913 the building had to be evacuated as serious slides in the coal mines below threatened total destruction but in both cases the buildings miraculously survived.
The present church was dedicated on April 2nd, 1929. It was named a basilica by Pope John Paul II on August 29th, 1996. The basilica is the site of an annual solemn novena in honor of St. Ann, which draws thousands of pilgrims every year.
Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
Mount Saint Macrina
10 West Main Street
Uniontown, PA 15401
The Shrine of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is in the Mount St. Macrina Retreat Center. It is staffed by the Sisters of the Order of St. Basil the Great, a Byzantine Rite Community.
The building was built in 1902 and was originally the Oak Hill Estate owned by Josiah Van Kirk Thompson, millionaire baron of the coal industry.